AVCS Athletics at a Glance
IMPORTANT WINTER SPORTS UPDATE (11/20/20)
As some of you know, the Governor’s office, as well as NYSPHSAA (this is the High School Athletic Association for NY) have approved low risk and moderate risk sports to start as early as November 30th. At AVCS, this means we can consider offering Boys’ and Girls’ Indoor Track, Boys’ Swimming and Boys’ and Girls’ Bowling at AVCS for the winter.
NYSPHSAA has moved the start of high risk sports (Basketball, Wrestling, Competitive Cheer and Hockey) to no earlier than January 4th. This does not mean high-risk sports can start on January 4th, this means if the Governor’s office approves the start of high risk sports at some point before January 4th, we may move forward with those sports.
Additionally, school Superintendents must approve the start of any sport’s programs.
AVCS has decided to offer JV and Varsity Girls’ and Boys’ Bowling (7th-12th graders may sign-up) and Modified and Varsity Boys’ Swimming (7th through 12th graders may sign up) starting on December 14th (like everything COVID connected, this could change in the future).
Boys’ and Girls’ Indoor Track is a difficult sport to offer at this time. Obviously, we do not want to allow students to exercise and train all over the building (hallways, etc.) plus, the facility where they hold meets for this region (SUNY Plattsburgh) has imposed restrictions that may make it impossible to hold any meets at any point this season. As a result, for now, AVCS will allow students (7th-12th graders) to sign up for a Track/Conditioning Club which will run for about 9-10 training sessions between December 14th-December 30th.This Club will only utilize the weight room, HS gymnasium and outdoor track facilities. This Club will give kids an outlet to be active and will also put us in a position to transfer to an Indoor Track team should the scenario change at some point during the Winter season. Additionally, we also might consider extending this Club from January 4th to the end of the season even if we do not have a competitive Indoor Track season in this region.
Winter Sports/Club Sign-up Instructions:7th-12th grade students need to email me (Mr. Hulbert: email@example.com) to sign up for Bowling, Boys Swimming or the Indoor Track/Conditioning Club by December 1st.
When you email Mr. Hulbert to sign up for a Winter sport/club, please include the following:
2-Your grade level
3-The Winter Sport or Club you are signing up for (Bowling, Boys Swim or Indoor Track/Conditioning). You do not need to indicate which level (i.e. Modified, JV or Varsity) because that will be determined during your first couple of practices.
Here are a couple of additional important points.
- Once Mr. Hulbert receives all sign-ups (after December 1st) he will email parents and students about a Google Meet for a Mandatory Preseason meeting; this meeting will focus on COVID protocols and is mandatory in order to participate.
- High Risk Winter Sports (Basketball and Wrestling) sign-ups will be sent out after the Governor hopefully gives his approval of those sports (likely in late December).
- If you are traditionally a basketball player or wrestler, I highly encourage you to sign up for Bowling, Boys Swimming or Indoor Track/Conditioning now. I believe it will be possible for student athletes to play basketball or to wrestle and still be on the Boys Swim Team, Bowling Team or Indoor Track team…that scenario will be allowed and likely would only result in some conflicts which we could manage should the time come.
- If you are a 7th, 8th or 9th grade girl and you were disappointed in the fact that we only offered Varsity Girls’ swim in the Fall, you may sign up for Boys’ Modified swim now. We do have a process we must go through in order for a female to participate in a boys’ sport, but the first step would be for you to sign up and then I can explain the process to you and your parents.
- To participate in these sports, all students must have an up-to-date physical on file at school (within the last year). I mention this so parents can try to schedule a physical now with their physician, if needed.
- A Mandatory Pre-season meeting for coaches will also be set-up after December 1st
I would like to thank Mr. Savage for his support and continued caution when it comes to our sport’s programs. It is obvious he cares deeply about our students and puts the safety of them and everyone involved first.
We had a very successful and fun Fall sports season and we are hoping to be able to safely continue that momentum this winter.
Please email me or call me if you have any questions at all. I am hoping lots of students sign up for these sports because I know that it helps the emotional and social health of kids to be active (in a safe way) with their peers. When in doubt, sign up and see what the first couple of practices are like; many students with apprehension at first have found a sports outlet to be just what they needed to stay positive during challenging times.
Patriot: a person who vigorously supports his/her school and is prepared to demonstrate that school pride daily.
Pride: the state of being proud of where you come from (AVCS!!)
Welcome to the AuSable Valley Central School Athletic site. We take “Patriot Pride” very seriously here in “The Valley.” Ultimately, the goal of our athletic programs is to help every single student athlete become a better version of themselves. At AVCS, we are also committed to the belief that our athletics are extensions of the classroom, and we encourage all students to take part in all that our athletic programs have to offer. We believe that our athletics promote a well-rounded educational experience that not only enhances student life here at AVCS but also in years to come and thus, helps all of our student athletes grow and prosper.
While the names and faces change from year to year, we strive for each student athlete, past, present, and future, to forever carry that “Patriot Pride” with them.
Executive Principal of Athletics,
Pre-K Education and Curriculum
518-834-2800 ext. 3112
AVCS Sports Offerings
|Fall Sports||Winter Sports||Spring Sports|
|Boys Soccer||Alpine Skiing||Baseball|
|Cross Country||Bowling||Boys Golf|
|Football||Boys Basketball||Boys Lacrosse (merge with PHS)|
|Girls Soccer||Boys Swim||Boys Track|
|Girls Swim||Girls Basketball||Girls Tennis|
|Gymnastics||Girls Hockey||Girls Track|